handdator

Visa fullständig version : Application- / Port-Specific VPN Usage?

Sepp
2007-11-18, 04:42
Is there any VPN-client which allows you to bind the usage of the VPN tunnel to certain ports or applications? Since the anonymity you get from rellaks can be spoiled by revealing your true identity for example just by checking your mails!

My eMail Provider knows my real name, so if I have for example Outlook running while using rellaks, my eMail Provider and their partner-sites know who is the person behind the relakks IP. Another example would be certain forums at university where I have to use my real identity. Or if I order books at amazon ect.

So I would like to bind the usage of my relakks-IP for example to Bittorrent and browse the web anonymous via rellaks using Opera, while my regular internet connection would be used by Outlook to check the mails or to buy stuff online with Firefox!

John Nilsson
2007-11-18, 12:49
I guess you could configure two proxies, one for Relakks and one for direkt access and then configure each application to use the correct proxy.

You could also try to manipulate your routing tables if you want the decision to be made based on IP

Sepp
2007-11-20, 23:27
John Nilsson (2007-Nov-18)I guess you could configure two proxies, one for Relakks and one for direkt access and then configure each application to use the correct proxy.

Is it possible to use this solution with just one PC? Running a standard connection, a VPN connection, two proxies and the corresponding applications on the same system?

Because if I need two PCs for this anyway, I could also just use one PC for BitTorrent and the other one for Non-Relakks traffic (like running Outlook).

I was rather looking for some VPN-Software which is able to define rules to allow only certain applications to use the VPN tunnel, just like my firewall asks me if an application is allowed to enter the net.

John Nilsson
2007-11-21, 21:23
Sepp (2007-Nov-20)Is it possible to use this solution with just one PC?

It should be possible. Although I can imagine some proxy implementations to not work with this set-up.

Because if I need two PCs for this anyway, I could also just use one PC for BitTorrent and the other one for Non-Relakks traffic (like running Outlook).

You could even run a virtual PC, using f.ex. VMWare.

I was rather looking for some VPN-Software which is able to define rules to allow only certain applications to use the VPN tunnel, just like my firewall asks me if an application is allowed to enter the net.

Hmm it might be possible using SELinux or AppArmor or some similar security solution. (I'm assuming Linux here, I have no clue of what *BSD can offer)