handdator

Visa fullständig version : Free Firewall to prevent IP-leaking when Relakks crashes?

2007-12-12, 20:28
Hello there and greetings to Sweden!

It seems that Relakks disconnects sometimes, revealing your true IP address while running p2p applications, which spoils the concept of anonymity and worries a lot of users. As I can see some guys have already written little programs that ping the Relakks servers every 500 ms and shut down your p2p applications in case Relakks has crashed, but they are quite buggy and even during those 500 ms your true IP can also be revealed.

Hasn't there been found an elegant solution to the problem yet?

Isn't there a free software Firewall you can install and configure some rules like:

"don't allow eMule to use my regular internet connection"

"allow eMule to use the VPN connection only"

The Relakks FAQ mentions a "trusted zone" that you have to configure if you are using Relakks with Zonealarm Personal Firewall and according to the FAQ you have to install a software Firewall anyway, since the VPN will tunnel your router's hardware firewall.

Best Wishes

2007-12-31, 16:29
You answered your own question, the way to do it is pretty much as you described .

Any decent firewall should allow something like that .

Also, some p2p-apps allow you to bind to a specified IP/NIC, however this is sometimes buggy so you still

need to make rules in your firewall that prevents your p2p-apps from using your "real" NIC .

Personally I use Comodo v2.4 .. very good free firewall, in fact it may be to good for the non-technical users.

NoName111
2008-01-03, 00:19
-

-

- posting deleted -

-

-

2008-01-04, 04:37
try vpnetmon, you don't have to set up complicated firewall rules. it just closes your programs if the vpn is down. just google for "vpnetmon". it's not a perfect solution but far more easy to use than to set up that complicated firewall rules.

Kurnaz
2008-01-04, 07:46
You real IP might be unhidden with Vpnetmon or whatever for several seconds! But you don't have to become an expert in firewall programming...

And it logs disconnect times in a small window.

2008-02-09, 08:45
Kurnaz (2008-Jan-04)You real IP might be unhidden with Vpnetmon or whatever for several seconds! But you don't have to become an expert in firewall programming...

And it logs disconnect times in a small window.

It's just setting up a few rules. I wouldn't call this "to become an expert in firewall programming".

But your right, this "VPNetMon" and other relakks-connection-watch tools aren't reliable and can't guarantee that data packets aren't send with your regular IP in case relakks crashes and Windows switches to your regular internet connection. Using a firewall is the only proper solution to prevent IP-leaking! (You need a software firewall anyway if you use relakks, since the VPN will tunnel your router's hardware firewall.)

Oh - and activate Window's "redial in case the connection is lost" feature for your relakks-connection (also use "remember password", "wait 10 seconds between redials" and "redial up to 999 times").

Then relakks will run without any problems for day and night! :cool:

2008-12-29, 01:56
Tip!

I was force to restart my computer before the new firewall ruls was applied!

2009-02-20, 03:55
Does anyone know how to configure Outpost firewall to stop a p2p program when Relakks is disconnected unexpectedly?

2009-04-02, 19:18
dont get the comodo method to work, however the adress i get from relakks does not start with 83. What should i do`?

2009-04-08, 16:02
I use relakks and mine did not start with 83 but instead uses 93. I used the following ip range in comodo after observing the different ip numbers relakks assigned me: 93.182.130.0 - 93.182.190.255. Note that this range is a little on the safe side but works for me.

2009-04-11, 15:55
Anonymous (2009-Apr-08)I use relakks and mine did not start with 83 but instead uses 93.

They seem to have indeed modified their IP-Range!

My address now also starts with 93.182... :blink:

2009-04-17, 15:13
Hi,

has someone an idea how to program kaspersky Internet Security 2009 in the style, the comodo firewall was programmed?

NoName111
2009-04-18, 21:25
-

-

- posting deleted -

-

-

2009-09-27, 21:18
Dude your comodo tutorial doesnt work. Keep getting blocked nomatter what i do.

Any ideas?

2009-09-27, 21:57
Can't confirm that, works flawlessly here.

What VPN-provider do you use? The IP-range given here (93.182.128.0 - 93.182.191.255) is for usage with RELAKKS only!

In case you use a global rule "Block IP In From IP Any To IP Any Where Protocol Is Any" to block unwanted incoming connections and are running a filesharing application like uTorrent, you have to add a rule above the global blocking rule that allows incoming connections on your Torrent port!