handdator

Visa fullständig version : Is Relakks also affected by IPRED?

2009-03-25, 00:50
Well, Google indicates me the question was already discussed in various Swedish boards, but since I don't speak Swedish I have to ask it here at the pirate-party board again.

As far as I understand it a new swedish law called IPRED will come into effect at april 1st (and it's not an april fool's joke) that will further criminalize filesharers and also allow Hollywood and their pals to hunt them down.

Whichs is the reason for citizens of other countries with similar laws to use Relakks for filesharing in the first place, since Relakks promised to protect them. Relakks FAQ:

"For Swedish authorities to force RELAKKS to hand over “traffic data” including your RELAKKS IP at a specific point in time, they will have to prove a case with the minimum sentence of two years imprisonment."

Is this term still in effect after april 1st, or will Relakks now be forced to hand over all IPs of people who just use the service to share some files and not for acts of terrorism or such things?

I don't know the wording of the law but does IPRED affect ISPs and the handing out of IP-Data? And if so: does Relakks even count as an ISP?

I am asking because apparently the guys from thePirateBay are now starting another VPN-Service for Swedish and international filesharers and promise not to store any IP data so they can't be forced to hand it out.

2009-04-04, 01:52
Anonymous (2009-Mar-25)Well, Google indicates me the question was already discussed in various Swedish boards, but since I don't speak Swedish I have to ask it here at the pirate-party board again.

As far as I understand it a new swedish law called IPRED will come into effect at april 1st (and it's not an april fool's joke) that will further criminalize filesharers and also allow Hollywood and their pals to hunt them down.

Whichs is the reason for citizens of other countries with similar laws to use Relakks for filesharing in the first place, since Relakks promised to protect them. Relakks FAQ:

"For Swedish authorities to force RELAKKS to hand over “traffic data” including your RELAKKS IP at a specific point in time, they will have to prove a case with the minimum sentence of two years imprisonment."

Is this term still in effect after april 1st, or will Relakks now be forced to hand over all IPs of people who just use the service to share some files and not for acts of terrorism or such things?

I don't know the wording of the law but does IPRED affect ISPs and the handing out of IP-Data? And if so: does Relakks even count as an ISP?

I am asking because apparently the guys from thePirateBay are now starting another VPN-Service for Swedish and international filesharers and promise not to store any IP data so they can't be forced to hand it out.

Unfortunately the case is; Relakks count as an ISP. With the IPRED law they are forced, upon request by a copyright holder or representative thereof, to give out both the IP-number of the user that use the service and the user details. The user details can be faked (by editing the user details) when logged into Relakks, however that doesnt really matter because since the requester gets hold of the real IP adress of the user they requested details on they can turn to the originating ISP and demand to receive who is the user of that IP.

Also the IPRED law doesnt have to take this into consideration (which means they can receive your ip/contact details for a much smaller crime); "For Swedish authorities to force RELAKKS to hand over “traffic data” including your RELAKKS IP at a specific point in time, they will have to prove a case with the minimum sentence of two years imprisonment."

2009-04-11, 16:05
Anonymous (2009-Apr-04)

Unfortunately the case is; Relakks count as an ISP. With the IPRED law they are forced, upon request by a copyright holder or representative thereof, to give out both the IP-number of the user that use the service and the user details. The user details can be faked (by editing the user details) when logged into Relakks, however that doesnt really matter because since the requester gets hold of the real IP adress of the user they requested details on they can turn to the originating ISP and demand to receive who is the user of that IP.

Also the IPRED law doesnt have to take this into consideration (which means they can receive your ip/contact details for a much smaller crime); "For Swedish authorities to force RELAKKS to hand over “traffic data” including your RELAKKS IP at a specific point in time, they will have to prove a case with the minimum sentence of two years imprisonment."

Can someone non-anonymous - an admin from the pirate party at best - confirm this information?

According to their news-page Relakks seems to have attracted even more customers recently, but why should someone join an anon-service that isn't safe anymore? Or is the fact that Relakks is affected by IPRED not known to the general public yet?

Henry Rouhivuori
2009-04-11, 17:04
Anonymous (2009-Mar-25)Well, Google indicates me the question was already discussed in various Swedish boards, but since I don't speak Swedish I have to ask it here at the pirate-party board again.

The Ipredator is not released yet and they have about 100 000 interested customers/users. Yeah it's a legal (pay) service costs 5 euro per month. But I think they can't handle so many users.

Department of Justice could outlaw encryption = VPN because it interferes with FRA-law, government cannot spy on you if you encrypt your connection.

The Pirate Bay may get one year in prison. That would be as government want it to be. Remember EU-law IPRED.

2009-04-11, 22:03
Henry Rouhivuori (2009-Apr-11)

The Ipredator is not released yet and they have about 100 000 interested customers/users. Yeah it's a legal (pay) service costs 5 euro per month.

Sounds good so far, I always wished thePirateBay would not only advertise filesharing, but also secure filesharing! :cool:

But unfortunately I've already paid for an one year Relakks account, so I would like to know if I can stay with Relakks in case they are not affected by IPRED and safe the extra money for an additional IPREDator account.

2009-04-24, 15:04
Hi, I was wondering the same thing.

I would have liked to sign up for relakks, but with the new legislation and data retention laws, I no longer know what service in the world is left that's actually safe from government and industry prosecution.

Quite frankly, I feel like I and my privacy are not safe anywhere anymore, and it's scary.

If anyone could post about relakks and IPREDATOR in more detail or contact anyone who knows more, that'd be great.

We need more endeavors to restore "normal life" online.

I am going to vote pirate in the EU elections.

2009-06-24, 07:19
Any update on this? If Relakks is affected, then wouldn't that mean Ipredator will also be affected? Since they are the same type of service. I've been reading that some Swedish IPs will stop logging, is Relakks doing that?