handdator

Visa fullständig version : Why five years?

2009-06-10, 18:41
Hello,

I've read your agenda. Despite agreeing with you on the surveillance-state problem, I cannot understand why do you want put a limit of five years to copyrights. Your argument is that if something does not give money in one or two years it will not give money at all, but we all know that's wrong. Some inventions don't generate wealth in the beggining, but in few years it ends working out. I believe that giving copyrights to death people is absurd, but don't you think that five years is a too short time? And about the proposal of free all traffic of non-commercial use, I think it needs some arguments. Why do you thing that? I create a song, don't I have right to be paid for that? Imagine that you make caps... do you think that they should be given free? Just because music is not material, the musician must be poor? In the limit, one person buys a CD that costs thousands of euros to produce and that only person gives the musics to everybody else. If it gets like that, in some years nobody will want to create anything.

About the patents your argument is really strong, so that I got to think more about it.

I'll wait for an answer.

Best wishes

Tiago Moreira Ramalho (Portuguese - sorry about the rough English)

Kaysow
2009-06-10, 19:17
I'm just one of the boardies, but my stance is that five years MIGHT be too short, even though many will argue that no entertainment is produced with the intention of earning any many in more than five year's time, which is completely valid I guess.

IsakGerson
2009-06-23, 09:40
Some inventions don't generate wealth in the beggining, but in few years it ends working out.

That's a part I actually agree with. However, it will always exist. Unless you have eternal right to your art or product.

I create a song, don't I have right to be paid for that? Imagine that you make caps... do you think that they should be given free? Just because music is not material, the musician must be poor?

No. I actually don't think you have the right to get paid for producing a song. However, I pay my favorite artists because I think they have earned the right to get paid. Regerdless of if they give away their music for free or not.

In the limit, one person buys a CD that costs thousands of euros to produce and that only person gives the musics to everybody else. If it gets like that, in some years nobody will want to create anything.

That's not quite reality. I could produce a CD for...free. I've got a computer, I've got burnable CD:s. I even got a guitar (that's not needed though). If you want to produce an expensive CD, you need to find the appropriate market.

Answer this, how come so many produce art for free already?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fCHoI0h7Tc

2009-06-23, 14:17
Anonymous (2009-Jun-10)In the limit, one person buys a CD that costs thousands of euros to produce and that only person gives the musics to everybody else. If it gets like that, in some years nobody will want to create anything.

To be honest, I don't really care if commercial copyright was a little longer. Most works recover their profit in a short time, but not all and there are other effects. For example, if you write a successful book then the movie rights would be free after five years.

However, when it comes to non-commercial copyright the answer is quite simple - it's next to impossible to prevent. People share with their friends that share with other friends, and they would even if public torrent sites were shut down.

The highly invasive countermeasures pushed through by copyright holders are totalitarian mass surveilance, private police enforcement, abandoining the presumption of innocence and excessive penalties that bear no relation to the damage. Did you see the recent case about the US woman covicted to pay 1.920.000 US dollars for file sharing 24 songs?

In short, if copyright enforcement is incompatible with basic civil rights in the digital age, then it's copyright that has to go and not basic civil rights. The truth is, the situation is already as you describe, people can get everything for free online but yet research show that the people that pirate the most also buy the most too, the things they like best. In addition they buy supplements, like music lovers still pay for concerts, movie lovers still pay to see it at the cinema, in short the "dommsday" scenario is unrealistic.

Billy Gellerstedt
2009-06-23, 23:34
Anonymous (2009-Jun-10)Hello,

I've read your agenda. Despite agreeing with you on the surveillance-state problem, I cannot understand why do you want put a limit of five years to copyrights. Your argument is that if something does not give money in one or two years it will not give money at all, but we all know that's wrong. Some inventions don't generate wealth in the beggining, but in few years it ends working out. I believe that giving copyrights to death people is absurd, but don't you think that five years is a too short time? And about the proposal of free all traffic of non-commercial use, I think it needs some arguments. Why do you thing that? I create a song, don't I have right to be paid for that? Imagine that you make caps... do you think that they should be given free? Just because music is not material, the musician must be poor? In the limit, one person buys a CD that costs thousands of euros to produce and that only person gives the musics to everybody else. If it gets like that, in some years nobody will want to create anything.

About the patents your argument is really strong, so that I got to think more about it.

I'll wait for an answer.

Best wishes

Tiago Moreira Ramalho (Portuguese - sorry about the rough English)

Most buisness models today in the recording industry, book industry etc do not really invest in things that do not turn profit within 4-5 years, thats why 5 years is in the program, but that does NOT mean the 5 year limit is not subject to change, it may prove that 7 or 10 years are needed, and if that is the case, it should be extended.

But as a general rule, just because you create something (anything really) doesnt earn you the right to get paid for it, your only right is that you can try to find someone willing to pay for your work, and if not, tough luck.. =)