handdator

Visa fullständig version : Questions about patent policies and candidate choices

1ceT
2010-09-15, 00:13
My first question will be about the Pirate Party's patent policy. About two years ago I tried to change my last name to Black, but they wouldn't let me because it was copyrighted (to some tire company). So I was wondering if you will be also making it easier for people to change their names?

My second question is about the candidates running for your party. Where can I find more information about them?

Thank you :)

SM5POR
2010-09-15, 15:58
My first question will be about the Pirate Party's patent policy. About two years ago I tried to change my last name to Black, but they wouldn't let me because it was copyrighted (to some tire company). So I was wondering if you will be also making it easier for people to change their names?
First of all, when we talk about "patents" we are referring to the exclusive right to put inventions in commercial use, not about design patents or any other exclusive right unrelated to technology that may exist in various jurisdictions, whether they are called "patents" or not. In short, we are opposed to the patent system, and our current policy calls for its abolition, but it's an issue which hasn't received as much attention as our position on copyright and privacy.

The right to a name is an entirely different matter, and there are even two distinct kinds of names - names used for business and personal names. In general, we support the continued protection of trademarks, as long as they serve the interest of consumers by requiring proper labelling of goods and services on the market. We are opposed to abuse of the trademark system as a means of silencing criticism, such as the forced takedown of websites referring to the name of a company or a product in the URL.

As for your direct question about changing your last name, I don't think we have even considered including that issue in our agenda, simply because it doesn't appear to be a common problem in Sweden. Personally, I'm opposed to corporations being able to veto someone's change of his or her last name, since that would confuse different namespaces with each other - throughout history, human beings have adopted names that may have been identical to the names of unrelated individuals, and we have managed to cope with the risk of confusion. In the field of business, however, we have developed a set of rules which generally require a trademark to be unique within its market segment. Personal names are not trademarks, and should therefore not be governed by the same rules.

Whether you should be allowed to change your name to "Coca-Cola" is an issue that should be resolved with respect to naming traditions within your part of society, not with respect to trademark laws. Human beings are not goods or services sold on the commercial market. The same principle applies to a name such as "Black".

My second question is about the candidates running for your party. Where can I find more information about them?If you are referring to this year's parliamentary election (riksdagsval), our 25 top candidates (http://press.piratpartiet.se/riksdagsgruppen/) (those appearing on top of our ballots, making them most likely to obtain any seats we win in the election) are presented with photographs and contact details (including blog links, most of the blogs in Swedish) on our press website. I think there should be a more extensive list of candidates somewhere, but right now I can refer you to a non-PP website, Nej till datalagring (http://nejtilldatalagring.blogspot.com/), a campaign site for candidates from different political parties who oppose the EU traffic data retention directive (where you will find almost all PP candidates in the column to the right under the "Piratpartiet" heading), with links to their blogs.