handdator

Visa fullständig version : Relakks: bad, bad service

2006-08-29, 13:20
I've been trying Relakks for two weeks and I am not satisfied with it. It simply sucks: CONTINUOUS disconnections, annoying downtimes and NO REPLY to my e-mails!

flash1296
2006-08-29, 16:36
Indeed, the service, at least via Cable Modem from here in the USA, is, in fact, absolutely worthless.

I have found no means to get a refund of my money that they were quick to take!

Rick Falkvinge
2006-08-29, 17:22
This feedback is being forwarded to the people who run the service (and I will make sure that they do get it).

Thanks for taking the effort to post your thoughts.

2006-08-29, 17:23
flash1296 (2006-Aug-29)Indeed, the service, at least via Cable Modem from here in the USA, is, in fact, absolutely worthless.

I have found no means to get a refund of my money that they were quick to take!

I see...

But the most suspect thing is that THEY DO NOT ANSWER to e-mails: this makes me think bad, bad things. I start to think that this "Relakks" is a rattrap. How can I get in touch with Piratpartiet itself?

pmanlig
2006-08-29, 20:34
Anonymous (2006-Aug-29)How can I get in touch with Piratpartiet itself?

You just did. Rick Falkvinge who answered you above is the leader of Piratpartiet. ;)

Nicklas W Bjurman
2006-08-29, 20:47
We are the party so you have been talking to us for a while now... Relakks got 21000 customers in one blow. They had predicted around 10000 customers. At least now it is too me understandable why their service have not worked as good as it ought too. However I never tested it so I would not have an idea of how good nor bad it is.

anonymoususer1
2006-08-29, 23:22
Thank you for your attention. Let's keep in touch.

Lukas Klingsbo
2006-08-30, 16:32
But the most suspect thing is that THEY DO NOT ANSWER to e-mails: this makes me think bad, bad things. I start to think that this "Relakks" is a rattrap. How can I get in touch with Piratpartiet itself?

I think they got a lot of mails to answer

2006-08-30, 23:29
Lukas Klingsbo (2006-Aug-30)But the most suspect thing is that THEY DO NOT ANSWER to e-mails: this makes me think bad, bad things. I start to think that this "Relakks" is a rattrap. How can I get in touch with Piratpartiet itself?

I think they got a lot of mails to answer

Yes, and why do you think they've got a lot of e-mails to answer? :unsure:

2006-09-01, 00:55
Dear ones, I still get no aswer. Nobody answers and the service is crap. How can I have my money back? Who should I contact (since there is nobody answering my e-mails)?

Juxi
2006-09-01, 12:17
I can imagine that these guys are really, really busy right now...

maybe they should put up a support forum, so they do not have to answer the same email questions over and over again ...

or at least send an automated email back saying something like: "due to the overwhelming interest in our services our servers are quite busy right now, therefore we are also quite busy try to update the servers and answer support emails. It will take some time for us to answer your inquiry.."

2006-09-04, 00:45
Still getting no answer. Just a reminder...

Nicklas W Bjurman
2006-09-04, 01:01
Even if they are clogged down with work. This is quite unacceptable and lousy service. Whatever they are doing I don't belive trearing their customers like this is good for their business. I wish I could help you and many others in your situation... But I can not, I can only condole my personal apologise for the mistreatement you have suffered.

2006-09-04, 10:18
Nicklas W Bjurman (2006-Sep-04)Even if they are clogged down with work. This is quite unacceptable and lousy service. Whatever they are doing I don't belive trearing their customers like this is good for their business. I wish I could help you and many others in your situation... But I can not, I can only condole my personal apologise for the mistreatement you have suffered.

You can go there and say "Guys, we can't continue this way".

Staffan Lindberg
2006-09-04, 23:57
This is all typical Labs2. One could even say "Business as usual"

They startup new services in a very small scale, with very few persons involved.

And I'm almost willing to bet the reasons why noone answers support emails is because noone has time! or to put it differently, noone gets paid to do support.

Yes, it's unacceptable when you are a paying customer...

2006-09-08, 16:10
If you´re dissatisfied and want a refund, but can´t get a response from relakks: Just call your credit co. and have the charges reversed. If you live in the US you shouldn´t have a problem with that. Relakks is still in existence and on credit cards you always have the last word ! If they need a ´written`statement, just put everthing in strong words & you´ll get your monies back.

However if you want to stay, give 'em some more time to sort things out (but remember not to complain to cc too late). If 21000 customers from scratch is true, I can only imagine.

findnot.com is another service like this. How good, secure ???

Buzzzzzz
2006-09-12, 13:21
Anonymous (2006-Sep-01)Dear ones, I still get no aswer. Nobody answers and the service is crap. How can I have my money back? Who should I contact (since there is nobody answering my e-mails)?

I agree. I sent an email requesting support exactly as requested on their FAQ page. I sent this on 25 August and still no reply. I also get constant disconnections and varying speeds. At the very least they could have sent out a 'holding' email to say that they were swamped and that they'd reply properly in due course. At least I only took out one months subscription. I shall not be renewing it!!!

2006-09-14, 11:39
Interesting I qout - Pirates don't steel, they share. :unsure:

Ok, why don't thy share there own program to make it easier for the public to keep on with file sharing. I think this is a major mistake by them and it will cost a lot in goodwill.

These Pirates? is equal greedy as the music and film industry:angry:

2006-09-23, 08:05
I was just happy to give them money for what they are doing.

I figured even if I was unable to get service, or it was bad, I was still providing to the cause.

As for the service, I have recieved 2 emails from Relakks and I have only sent them 2 emails.

My experience is the l2tp connection does not work as it should.

I get disconnected after 20-90 minutes, and no way to redial automatically. :crazy:

In the beginning I had problems with the pptp connection too.

I can now stay connected to the pptp connection for days, and it redials automatically if disconnected. :w00t:

The speeds are good, and the service has been good, so I am more than happy with them.

BTW I live in the USA.

2006-10-02, 18:22
Relakks must have made millions of bucks by taking payments from all over the world without giving anything back.

Money transfers are not being confirmed - let alone turned into accounts. E-mails go unanswered. I'm getting closer to the real meaning of "Pirates"!

A decent service would at least grant customers a chance to test it before they ask payment.

Snaif

2006-10-16, 21:12
I tried the service while it was free, and was quite happy with it. After I paid the 400-something swedish kroner, my service went down after a few days. I dont know if its something wrong with my account, the money transfer (it went out from my CC) or the settings on my windows box - because they do not answer email! Its been 10 days since I emailed them, according to the template on their homepage.

Whats the point of having a "support@relakks.com" email address if no one checks it or replies??

This just sucks and I am starting to think its a scam... Perhaps we should report them to the swedish police for fraud?? I assume its illegal to lure people in Sweden too?!

If you provide a service and take peoples money, you should deliver. The "oh my god, we got too many customers" argument does not stick. If you have too much people coming into your service, stop accepting new ones...

:(

Rick Falkvinge
2006-10-16, 21:38
I spoke to them this morning and got word that there had been a problem with staffing the support. It is resolved now, the Relakks support crew are working off the backlog, and you should have a reply in a few days.

In the meantime, accept my apologies-by-proxy for the delay.

Rick

2006-10-17, 22:39
Hello

I am the above Anonymous poster. Thank you for you reply. I will wait a few days before I go off my rockers, giving the support guys some time to catch up..

:/

Rick Falkvinge
2006-10-18, 02:47
If you have not received a reply by the time you read this, I'd mail them again.

Rick

2006-10-18, 23:17
The service has been down for 2 weeks yet there was a message posted in their news section yesterday, immediately followed by a "it's fixed" message. It is indeed working now, however my confidence that this type of thing won't happen in the future is a little low.

I hope its just growing pains, because this is definately a service I want and am willing to pay for. But not at the expense of a lot of frustration.

Thanks for getting their attention Rick.

grandvizir
2006-10-19, 01:04
hello there,

I have just suscribed to the relakks service but I am experiencing multiple deconnections and I would like to know if you have any idea on how to fix it? By the way I am using mac os x 10.4.8 and a vpn through L2TP.

Actually if someone has a tip on how to reconnect automatically, it would be just great, I have seen an anonymous post mentionning this possibility but without explanations.

Thanks to everybody!

Rick Falkvinge
2006-10-19, 01:56
A Mac OS X review of Relakks I read suggested using PPTP instead. I have no idea if this helps, as I'm a Windows guy, but just thought I'd pass on the experience.

2006-10-19, 02:59
if the pptp server was actually functional you could use it.. but alas, it's been down for weeks. if MAC OSX l2tp client supports PSK, you can use the manual setup - https://www.relakks.com/faq/guides/connectionmanual/

it's what I do on XP to reconnect.

2006-10-23, 23:46
here is a graph of my past 24 hours.. the dips in the green is disconnects.. seems to average about once an hour.

http://static.flickr.com/110/277674752_6b5048abbd.jpg?v=0

2006-11-03, 17:52
Does anyone else have these low bandwidth besides the disconnects also ?

I mean pptp is worse than l2tp and they are flucuating quite a bit as well as only 1/3 or below avail. bandwidth. It´s only ok during morning night hours (swedish time) :( . And now they are changing to "pptp" only :scratch my head: ....

2006-11-08, 02:53
One issue that I am facing : I am using Azureus over Relakks - in between, the VPN connection snaps - and while the connx is down, Azureus queries the tracker again, exposing my real IP. Is there a workaround for this?

2006-11-09, 19:40
This service has horrible problems. At least 60% of the time I want to use it, it just doesn't work. It won't let me log on, or when I log on there is no connection to the wider internet. The other 40% of the time, the bandwidth I get is 10% of what I get without it, when it clearly states on the FAQ that your bandwidth won't be affected. These problems persist even with the happy messages about upgrading hardware and things in the news section.

2006-11-15, 09:11
Anonymous (2006-11-08)One issue that I am facing : I am using Azureus over Relakks - in between, the VPN connection snaps - and while the connx is down, Azureus queries the tracker again, exposing my real IP. Is there a workaround for this?

Yes, you need to delete your default gateway then add static routes to the pptp server IP. that way if the connection drops, there is no route for the traffic and it just dies.

if you don't have a DNS server on your local network, you'll want to add static routes for them too.

here's an example of a static route for windows:

route add 83.233.168.x mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.x metric 10

replace 83.x.x.x with pptp ip

replace 192.x.x.x with your gateway ip

2006-12-29, 01:44
connection is back to crapping out after ~5 minutes, and email support is still worthless.. By the time they read my email about the issue, it'll probably be fixed from rebooting their bogged down servers. sigh.

2007-02-03, 17:16
Anonymous (2006-Nov-15)Anonymous (2006-11-08)One issue that I am facing : I am using Azureus over Relakks - in between, the VPN connection snaps - and while the connx is down, Azureus queries the tracker again, exposing my real IP. Is there a workaround for this?

Yes, you need to delete your default gateway then add static routes to the pptp server IP. that way if the connection drops, there is no route for the traffic and it just dies.

if you don't have a DNS server on your local network, you'll want to add static routes for them too.

here's an example of a static route for windows:

route add 83.233.168.x mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.x metric 10

replace 83.x.x.x with pptp ip

replace 192.x.x.x with your gateway ip

Thats just a bandage that must be redone every time you use Relakks since you get a new IP. :ermm:

Here is a guide I made to a more better solution using Local Computer IP Security Policy.

http://www.wiu.edu/users/mukem1/relakks_ip_privacy.html

I just wrote it so its a little rough, but I hope it helps. :)

2007-02-08, 01:40
Thats just a bandage that must be redone every time you use Relakks since you get a new IP

Actually it's not because it has nothing to do with what IP Relakks assigns you. If you set your routing table up with static routes to ONLY relakks PPTP servers, when you aren't connected to their service there is no route to host for any connections you make. Once you are connected, all traffic is through Relakks, but when you get dropped or disconnect, there is no default gateway anymore and traffic essentially halts.

With that said, I like your write up :)

2007-02-08, 06:41
Anonymous (2007-Feb-08)Thats just a bandage that must be redone every time you use Relakks since you get a new IP

Actually it's not because it has nothing to do with what IP Relakks assigns you. If you set your routing table up with static routes to ONLY relakks PPTP servers, when you aren't connected to their service there is no route to host for any connections you make. Once you are connected, all traffic is through Relakks, but when you get dropped or disconnect, there is no default gateway anymore and traffic essentially halts.

With that said, I like your write up :)

I see what you are saying with the static routes, but I do not always use Relakks 24/7.

The IP Security Policy allows you to turn on or off the policy, or even switch policies very quickly without macros or scripting.

Both methods will work.

2007-02-08, 06:45
Anonymous (2006-Aug-29)[quote]flash1296 (2006-Aug-29)

They answer my emails just fine. May take awhile, but you should get a response.

Not sure what your problem is, are you following their email format rules?

If not you will NOT get a response.

2007-02-08, 17:52
They answer my emails just fine. May take awhile, but you should get a response.

Not sure what your problem is, are you following their email format rules?

If not you will NOT get a response.

6 months ago they did not answer emails quickly. Past couple months they are much better.

2007-02-23, 07:39
First, thanks for your rough guide. It gave me some insight into sth new :). Second I´m wondering w/o me searching much, whether you know a cmd_line on/off shortcut for the "Relakks"-secpol?

nymnym
2007-03-14, 00:42
Just wanted to say Thanks :) for Relakks and post a solution I've found to the problem of disconnects when using Azureus on Relakks.

The solution is actually quite simple. It has two parts:

1. Set the Maximum MTU in the BitTorrent program to 1400 to match the MTU of the PPTP VPN. Azureus, the program I use, has an optional, normally hidden setting to change the MTU size. To unhide this option, go to Tools > Options > Mode and select "Advanced". Then go to Tools > Options > Connection -- Click the "+" beside "Connection" and then go to "Advanced Network Settings" > "Line Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU)" and enter 1400 in the box.

In the case of BitTorrent programs that don't have this setting available, one can simply set the default MTU in Windows to 1400 by editing the registry or by using a program such as "TCP Optimizer" (freeware), available here: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php -- The MTU setting is on the first screen; just enter 1400 and reboot.

2. Set a maximum limit on BitTorrent download speed at 90-110 kilobytes per second (kBps) as anything higher will choke the encrypted tunnel connection to Relakks. I recommend starting with 90 kBps and if BT speed reaches 90 and is stable, then one can gradually increase the cap.

As best I can tell the disconnect problem is an inherent problem with the PPTC VPN, which uses a non-negotiable MTU of 1400 for the encrypted tunnel. This greatly limits the ability to compensate for changes in internet speeds due to factors such as latency, etc., and leads to choking of the encrypted tunnel. Also, PPTC apparently doesn't inform other programs (such as Azureus and other BT programs) of the change in MTU packet size. As a result Azureus and other BT programs rely on trial and error to find the correct packet size, decreasing their efficiency, and causing additional speed fluctuations in the encrypted tunnel.

Again, thanks for Relakks, and I hope this helps someone.

Edit --- 2007 - March- 18

Sad to say I spoke too soon -- Sometimes the bandwidth is so low I'm lucky to get a 50 kBps download speed. Other times I have to set the upload cap at 70 to avoid disconnects. I guess these guys are still in the start up/learning phase. Relakks is definitely a desirable service and sometimes it runs quite well. Hopefully it will get better over time.